Monday, June 14, 2004

The beginning of the end

I'm sitting at my desk, with my jacket off, having a coke and writing on my blog. Why? Because I can't take it anymore. It's hot as hell! Blackouts are driving me insane! The local generators say the government hasn't paid them, the government says they don't owe the generators. In the meantime, we are getting no more than 4 hours of electricity a day. Gas prices are very high and emergency generators (or "plantas" as we call them down here), do suck a lot of gas when they work for 20 hours straight (Emergency?). This also strains the plantas and fixing them up is very expensive. For instance, in my building we have established a schedule for the planta. We turn it off at 10 am and turn it on at 1 pm. Then off again at 3pm and on again at 6 pm. Finally, off at 1 am and on at 5 am. This means that from 1 am to 5 am I GET NO SLEEP WHATSOEVER! Last night I disconnected my computer from the ups and connected a little fan I'd bought at Brookstone a while ago. At least it was not that hot, but still... nights are horrible.
Same goes here at the office. Since we can't afford to turn the planta off, we have 2 different generators: a big one and a small one. The thing is, since this has been going on for a while now, the big one has been taken offline and the small one doesn't move the ac units. Windows are scarce... just imagine. 8 hours a day with no air AT ALL. I brought my little fan this afternoon, but it hasn't made much difference.
HAVE PITY ON US! WE ARE MELTING!

0 comments: