Saturday, May 29, 2004

Cono! Se fue la luz! (Darn! Lights went out!)

I'll admit it. Even if I'm supposed to be used to it, it still makes me mad when it happens.
Perfect. I live in a third world country that has been mismanaged ever since Columbus stepped on our beaches (for those of you who didn't know, this piece of land surrounded by water was were America was "discovered": La Hispaniola). We have had blackout problems ever since I can remember, bu still that's no excuse to act as if nothing is wrong.
And people say this is a poor country. We pay 50 dominican pesos for every US dollar. We pay 117 pesos for every gallon of gas. Minimum wage is less than 5,000 pesos a month (you do the math). Yet, last night I saw a brand new Mercedes 55 s AMG cruising around. And the streets are filled with spanking new Jaguars, BMWs, Porsches, Range Rovers, Volvos.... You name it , we have them here. People down here buy helicopters and yachts just for cruising around the island and showing them around...
The place where it all started.... The land of Sammy Sosa, Pedro Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Felix Sanchez, Juan Luis Guerra, Michael Camilo, merengue, diablos cojuelos, Presidente, Brugal, sancocho ... The most beatiful beaches in the world... The nicest people... AND WE HAVE BLACKOUTS!
Yeah, I'm bitching too much. Better not think about it and enjoy the ride.... At least I have an emergency generator at home.

0 comments: