Thursday, June 16, 2005

Bit by bit

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My sister in law Silvia couldn't have said it better.Mamaua, my grandmother, is like a little candle that is slowly burning down.
She is 93 years old and she is still fighting for her life.
We have a little inside joke in our family (the younger ones that is; if the older ones knew about it we would get into so much trouble!). Every year we go through the same drill: this might be Mamaua's last Mother's Day; this might be Mamaua's last birthday; this might be Mamaua's last Christmas; this might be Mamaua's last New Year. And then we start all over again. Yet she still manages to prove all of us wrong. Stubborn woman even in senility!
Lately though, I've started to believe that his might actually be her last year.
It might sound harsh, but I really don't relate to her. She was never the image of a grandmother to me. She had her inner issues, and even more after my grandfather and two of my uncles died in a matter of a couple of years. She was always distant and rejectful. Truth be told, I never really liked, much less loved the woman, but she brought my mom into this world and I will always be thankful for that.
Anyways, for the past few months she has had her ups and downs. In senility, she has actually become fun (if that word can be used towards her). Well, at least she doesn't pull back and make a face or start mumbling when we come visit. Her health has also deteriorated to the point that my aunt (with whom she has always lived), has to call the ambulance service a few times a week. And yet she still manages to hang on.
My poor aunt does not have a life. Because she had to take care of my grandfather and my grandmother (back then, the younger kid always stayed home to take care of her parents), she never had the chance to marry or have a family of her own. The only thing she has always had in her life were my grandparents: Eventhough we, her nieces and nephews, have always been there and loved her almost like a mother, at the end of the day we all head home and she stays with grandma. When Mamaua does actually join Papi Toño (my grandfather), tío Toñito and tío José (my uncles) and tía Mercedita (my aunt whom I never met 'cause she died when she was only 12), tía Loly will be devastated.
So, this morning when I left for work, I saw the ambulance coming and I immediately knew it was headed to tía Loly's (we live in the same building), so I headed back home. The paramedic and my aunt are buddies now (after all, he comes all the time, I think he even visits more than I do!). After he checked her up and prescribed some medication, he headed out and Mamaua actually managed to mumble a thank you to the guy.
I tell you, she's going to outlive us all...

0 comments: