Monday, January 03, 2005

What does Bracuta mean?

Many have asked me the meaning of Bracuta, so here it comes:
First of all, my real name is not Bracuta (I can't imagine anyone growing up with that name!). I have a regular name, just like everyone else (well, not really regular, but I do like it; it's different and I sometimes have to spell it out for some). Bracuta is just an alter ego... My real name is Enedina, Eny for short since it's also my mom's name. Enedina Altagracia Pereyra Córdova... let's just stick with Eny, shall we?
I am proud to admit that I am a trekkie, that is, I am a Star Trek fan. I was introduced to the world of Star Trek a few years ago by a dear friend (we are not friends anymore, chick fight, but that's a whole other story) who is a closet Trekkie, that is, she is a Trekkie but she's afraid to admit it in public (she thinks people might think she's a geek). Anyways, on Star Trek there is a race called the Borg, and their mission is to assimilate every other race in space. In Episodes 26 and 27 of Star Trek: The Next Generation, (The Best of Both Worlds, Part I and The Best of Both Worlds Part II), Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise is abducted and assimilated by the Borg, given the new name of Locutus of Borg (Picard's Borg alter ego), but he is rescued and later turned back into his old self.
Later, on Star Trek: First Contact, the crew of the Enterprise is once again confronted by the Borg, this time abducting Data. This is the first time we get to see the Borg Queen in action.
My friend and I used to joke that Picard and the Borg Queen had mated and that I was the result of their love affair, hence calling me Bracuta of Borg (a name she made up, not real in Star Trek history as we know it).
I found the name funny and when I first registered for my first email address, the name just popped into my mind and I have been using it ever since.
There.. that's the truth behind the name....
UPDATE:
Thanks to AJ for posting his comment... I had completely forgotten to mention that Bracuta is the only Star Trek character that has managed to do the crossover from Star Trek to Star Wars... I am currently the only Borg who's undergoing Jedi training at an undisclosed location...

1 comments:

Arturo J. Paniagua said...

Ay, yo como que tengo más alma de Jedi. Pero como me gusta tu blog, no me importa que seas Trekkie :P Además, Data era un tipo con gracia.

Saludos desde el otro lado del Atlantico!!!