Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A movie-ish weekend

As you already know, last Tuesday I saw King Kong. After that, Thursday night I went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at Acrópolis. As usual with all HP movies, this one was very good. I just love to see how HP and his friends have grown thru the years and how amazing we find the movies even if we already know what’s going to happen (at least those of us who actually do read the books).
Friday night I decided to rent some movies, since it was going to be a long weekend and I had no plans. These are the movies I saw over the weekend (rented, loaned and at the movie theater):

Fever Pitch
As usual, I need to have my dose of chick flicks. This one I was eager to see since I knew that the final footage was actually filmed during the games, and the final scene was filmed the day the Red Sox won the pennant (so long, Curse of the Bambino!). I’m not a huge fan of baseball (I do like it, but I’m not like Memo, who knows the statistics by heart and all that), so I was a little reluctant to see it in case it was all centered on baseball and not on the chick drama, but I was pleasantly surprised. Good movie, you should watch it (if, and only if, you like chick flicks and know a little about baseball and the Sox’s history).

Mr. and Mrs. Smith
I saw the movie for the 4th time, since I had already seen it 3 times at the theater (as you can see, I don’t mind seeing movies repeatedly), but this time I rented it so that my parents could see it. I can just say I love the chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (even though she is a home wrecker and all that) and how an action movie (can it be called action movie?) was interlaced with a love story. A funny, action-laced romantic comedy that is not a waste of time.

The Interpreter
Another one I had already seen at the theater and rented it so my parents could see it. Nicole Kidman is definitely one of my favorite actresses. I love the way she can transform herself and portray so many different characters. Did you know that this was the first time ever the UN allowed cameras inside the building? Plus, the story was very interesting. A good thriller, a must see.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
This one was a total disappointment. As a sci-fi enthusiast, I was eager to see the movie, even if I hadn’t read the book. Ugh! What a mistake! 15 minutes into the movie I decided to turn the captions on and watch it in fwd. What a load of crap! I don’t know who finds it funny to have characters say things that make no sense whatsoever. This movie is senseless; the things they said were so stupid they didn’t even make me laugh and it is a total insult to sci-fi fans. A total waste of time!
This one goes up there with Pi, Amores Perros, Kung Pow and Andrea in the list of most horrible and absurd movies I have ever wasted my money and time on.


Flightplan
Another one I was eager to see. Lately, Jodie Foster has made very good psychological thrillers (let’s not forget Panic Room). At one point in the movie I was very confused because I actually couldn’t make up my mind as to if she had imagined carrying the kid on board (she was in a very delicate mental state and it was only natural to presume she could’ve imagined it) or if she was actually telling the truth. The ending was a big surprise for me.
Now that we’re on the Jodie Foster page, haven’t you noticed that on her last two films she has portrayed single mothers, with no male counterpart? Is it true what people say about her sexual preferences? As I recall, the last time she had a male counterpart was Matthew McConaghew in Contact (and what a counterpart he is!). I don’t really care that much about it, I have always loved her as an actress (ever since she made Freaky Friday centuries ago), so she can do with her love life as she pleases.
Anyways, as I said before, this is a very good movie and a must-see.


Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
This one I saw Sunday night with Winch and Loli at Bella Vista Mall. To be completely honest, I wasn’t very enthusiastic about seeing it, mainly because I didn’t know what it was about. Apparently Loli had read the books (they’re like the Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings sagas) when she was a kid (back when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth), and she told me I was going to like it. She was right. I loved the story; I loved the special effects and the photography. And the plot, though it was all fantasy, was very appealing. I just don’t know why the studio hasn’t made much fuzz about it (or maybe they have and I just didn’t notice).
Another good one that’s also a must-see.

Christmas with the Kranks
This one I was dying to see. I read the book when it came out in 2002. I remember I was in Ohio with my parents and saw the book at a Barnes & Noble. It had just come out and I had never heard of it, but it caught my attention because I am a huge John Grisham fan and I wanted to know how he’d do not writing legal thrillers (I hated “A Painted House”, but I loved “Skipping Christmas”). Sadly, when the movie came out I couldn’t see it, and it took almost a year to come out in DVD.
I am a huge Jamie Lee Curtis fan, and I also love Tim Allen (hasn’t he been doing a lot of Christmas movies lately? Isn’t it curious that the guy who portrayed Santa in “The Santa Clause” I & II movies now acts like the Grinch in this one?) Another plus for the movie was Dan Aykroyd, who is still funny is hell even when he’s not trying to be.
If you’re in the mood for a funny, light Christmas movie, this one’s it.

The Perfect Man
Another chick flick. Heather Locklear portrays Hillary Duff’s mom in this movie about a woman who is looking for love in all the wrong places, and when I say looking I mean really looking. It’s as if looking for a man was the only purpose in her life, and when things don’t turn out the way she wants them to, she runs away and takes her kids with her. Not much more to say, aside from the fact that we get to see Mr. Big. on the big screen and that this is a good chick flick.


The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Another movie I saw without even knowing what it was about. I do remember watching the trailers on TV, but I didn’t know the plot behind it. This is based on the true story of the trial of a priest who tried to help a possessed kid, who eventually died and the priest eventually got accused of her death. The movie was very good and very scary, but the scariest part is that it’s actually based on a true story. I watched it yesterday afternoon alone in my room with the lights off (didn’t I learn my lesson when I saw Rose Red?). 20 minutes into the movie my mom came in and told me she and dad were leaving, so I was going to be all alone in the apartment. Needless to say, after they left I immediately started to hear all sorts of weird noises. Last night, with no reason whatsoever, I woke up at 3:00 am (to understand the meaning of this you must see the movie). Of course, my subconscious played tricks on me (or did it?). I must learn that I can’t watch those movies all by myself!
Anyways, a good movie who will appeal to those who believe in the supernatural.

Disclaimer:
Do remember I have various tastes and I like almost all the films I see, so if you have seen any of these films and have a different opinion than mine, please be sympathetic.

0 comments: